In February of this year the safety deck in the nave finally came down after five years. Work on the conservation and restoration of the clerestory nave windows and stonework commenced in the spring of 2017 as part of ‘The Canterbury Journey’, a Heritage Lottery funded project. The stained glass windows on the north side were in particular need of urgent attention. They date from 1850 – 1855 and were made by the Cathedral glazier George Austin Junior. All eight north windows of the nave were carefully removed and taken to The Cathedral Studios for conservation. They have now been reinstalled back into their original locations with the addition of protective glazing.